As is standard in the adventure tourism industry in North America you will be required to sign a release of liability agreement prior to participating in any of our tours. Below is the wording of our current agreement.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY, WAIVER OF CLAIMS, ASSUMPTION OF RISKS AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT. BY SIGNING THIS DOCUMENT YOU WILL WAIVE CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS, INCLUDING THE RIGHT TO SUE.
PRINT NAME: _____________________ ________________________________________________
MAILING ADDRESS: ___________________________________________________________________
TELEPHONE: ____________________________ E-MAIL (OPTIONAL):__________________________
TO: DESTINY RIVER ADVENTURES LTD. (hereinafter referred to as the operator)
In this agreement the term "Whitewater / River Rafting Activities" shall include all activities in any way related to the river rafting trip, kayaking, or canoeing and including, but not limited to, orientation and instruction sessions, transportation or travel to and from the river, loading and unloading of vehicles, rafts and boats, camping, backpacking, fishing, hiking, swimming, backcountry travel and all recreational activities offered (hereinafter referred to as "The Activities").
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT - WHITEWATER / RIVER RAFTING SAFETY
I acknowledge that I have been advised to wear a helmet and lifejacket while river rafting. Instruction in the proper use of the helmet and lifejacket is available from the guides. I am aware that the physical exertion required by river rafting and the forces exerted on the body can activate or aggravate pre-existing physical injuries, conditions, symptoms, or congenital defects. I have been advised to seek medical advice if I know or suspect that my physical condition may be incompatible with river rafting. I acknowledge that I am not nor will I be under the influence of drugs or alcohol while participating in these activities.
ASSUMPTION OF RISKS
I am aware that Whitewater / River rafting Activities involve many risks, dangers, and hazards including, but not limited to: accidents which occur during transportation or travel to and from the river; the overturning or upsetting of rafts or boats; sudden violent and unexpected movement of the boat or raft; entrapment by trees, logs, rocks or equipment; hypothermia due to exposure to very cold water; falling from the boat or raft into long sections of continuous rapids; impact or collision with rocks, trees, logs, deadfall, other vessels, and other boating equipment; encounters with domestic or wild animals; high winds; equipment failure; variation in the water conditions, surfaces and currents; and negligence of other boaters and rafters. I am also aware that fishing, hiking, backpacking, camping and back country travel involve many risks, dangers and hazards, including but not limited to: steep slopes in their natural state that may contain many obstacles and hazards; terrain that may not have been travelled on or climbed before and is not regularly patrolled or inspected; becoming lost or separated from the guide or party; rock slides; rapid and extreme change in weather conditions; negligence of other participants. Communication in the backcountry terrain is difficult, and in the event of an accident; rescue and medical treatment may not be available. I AM ALSO AWARE THAT THERE IS A RISK OF NEGLIGENCE ON THE PART OF THE OPERATORS, INCLUDING THE FAILURE BY THE OPERATORS AND THEIR STAFF TO SAFEGUARD OR PROTECT ME FROM THE RISKS, DANGERS AND HAZARDS OF THE ACTIVITIES. I FREELY ACCEPT AND FULLY ASSUME ALL RISKS, DANGERS AND HAZARDS ASSOCIATED WITH THE ACTIVITIES AND THE POSSIBILITY OF PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH, PROPERTY DAMAGE OR LOSS RESULTING THEREFROM.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY, WAIVER OF CLAIMS AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT
In consideration of THE OPERATORS agreeing to my participation in the Whitewater / River rafting Activities and permitting my use of its equipment, vehicles, parking and other river rafting facilities (hereinafter referred to as the "rafting facilities"), and for other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is acknowledged, I hereby agree as follows:
1. TO WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS that I have or may in the future have against THE OPERATORS AND THE PROVINCE, AND THEIR DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, GUIDES, INSTRUCTORS, INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS, SUB-CONTRACTORS AND REPRESENTATIVES (all of whom are hereinafter referred to as the "RELEASEES") AND TO RELEASE THE RELEASEES from any and all liability for any loss, damage, expense or injury including death that I may suffer, or that my next of kin may suffer as a result of my participation in River Rafting Activities, DUE TO ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, BREACH OF CONTRACT, OR BREACH OF ANY STATUTORY OR OTHER DUTY OF CARE, INCLUDING ANY DUTY OF CARE OWED UNDER THE OCCUPIERS' LIABILITY ACT, ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES, AND FURTHER INCLUDING THE FAILURE ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES TO SAFEGUARD OR PROTECT ME FROM THE RISKS, DANGERS, AND HAZARDS OF THE RIVER RAFTING ACTIVITIES REFERRED TO ABOVE;
2. TO HOLD HARMLESS AND INDEMNIFY THE RELEASEES from any and all liability for any property damage or personal injury to any third party resulting from my participation in Whitewater Activities;
3. That this Agreement shall be effective and binding upon my heirs, next of kin, executors, administrators, assigns and representatives, in the event of my death;
4. That this Agreement shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the Province of British Columbia; and
5. That any litigation involving the parties to this Agreement shall be brought within the Province of British Columbia.
6. PHOTO RELEASE - I consent to photographs taken of me during my participation in the Activities, and to publication of the photographs by the Operators for advertising, promotional and marketing purposes.
MARINE LIABILITY ACT: The Marine Liability Act, S.C.2001,c.6, may limit the liability of the Operators in the event of an accident resulting in injury or death.
IN ENTERING INTO THIS AGREEMENT I AM NOT RELYING ON ANY ORAL OR WRITTEN REPRESENTATIONS OR STATEMENTS MADE BY THE RELEASEES WITH RESPECT TO THE SAFETY OF WHITEWATER ACTIVITIES, OTHER THAN WHAT IS SET FORTH IN THIS AGREEMENT. I CONFIRM THAT I HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THIS AGREEMENT PRIOR TO SIGNING IT, AND I AM AWARE THAT BY SIGNING THIS AGREEMENT I AM WAIVING CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS WHICH I OR MY HEIRS, EXECUTORS, ADMINISTRATORS, ASSIGNS AND REPRESENTATIVES MAY HAVE AGAINST THE RELEASEES.
Signed this ______ day of _____________, _______
Print Participant Name Witness
_______________________________________ ___________________________________________ Participant Signature Parent or Legal Guardian Signature